The rain or shine, hot or cold F3 principle was proved today by 4 HIM. Yep, only 4! What was it that kept PAX away? Was it the Fartsack? (No doubt, that cozy warm siren always beckons toward the craggy shoreline of more sleep. The undisciplined are her perpetual prey. Get out your Taylor Swift CD and Shake It Off!) Was it deer taunting hunters? (Uh, huh! Kill buck, wipe the blood stripes on your cheeks like the blood-thirsty warriors you are, and we’ll see you soon. And, oh yeah, don’t forget to bring some penance jerky.) Was it that age-old excuse, “I’m having a baby? (We’ve heard that one a lot around here lately! Seriously though, congrats to Vanilla and his M for bringing baby #2 into the world. Olive is a beauty!) Was it the forecast of rain? (Remember men, a principle proven is a principle [genuinely] held.) Or, was it the heads-up YHC gave the night before that his 3rd F would be a message about getting naked? (Ah, yes, that’s probably what panicked some PAX into the inky shadows of fartsackville.) Well, whatever it was–perhaps the perfect storm of all of the above–we still had 4 men post in the cool rain. This was by definition a small workout group of men, becoming more invigorated leaders. So, the mission was carried out and one of our F3 principles was solidified. Here’s how it all went down:
Warm-Up VQ well-executed by Semi! No problem amigo with the IC either–your cadence fears were unfounded! Great job, looking forward to what you bring to your full VQ.
- SSH – 20 IC
- Windmill – 20 IC
- Cherry Pickers – 20 IC
Indian Run (long way around the block) while passing a cornhole bag to the PAX coming from the tail. PAX were to find increasingly creative ways to pass off the cornhole bag. If it was dropped, all the PAX hit the ground for 5 Burpees — WE DID ALOT OF BURPEES! (recollection says about 60+!)
Back at the AO…
F3 Cornhole: Not PAX against PAX, but all PAX against the boards and the elements of wind and rain. (Thankful we didn’t pair up, because pity the team who ended up with you know who…. You had to be there. :-0 )
1 PAX tossed the cornhole bag, while all other PAX did called-for exercise and we just kept rotating
- Bag on board ends exercise
- Next throwing PAX picks new exercise, executed until cornhole bag lands on board
- Bag in the hole = 10 count
We did several rounds of this fun workout game which included at least these exercises: Merkins(2x), Squats(2x), Shoulder Taps, Freddie Mercury’s, Dollys, LBC’s, etc.
On a side note…CHAIRMAN, would you plea, he, he, he, hease hit the board!! Oops! Did I say that out loud?
We took a breather in the middle for the following 3rd F Message: “You don’t need motivation, YOU NEED DISCIPLINE” is a phrase we’ve all seen memed in F3 circles recently. I’ve even sent it out and I think Vanilla has posted it on our F3FirstState Instagram. We tend to send out messages over GroupMe to MOTIVATE each other to post, but in reality it all comes down to DISCIPLINE. Because of that, over recent weeks you might have noticed I’ve laid off of the motivational messages to try to get men to post. I did that on purpose…until last night when I hit hard with a bunch of motivational stuff. The implication is in the following message on DISCIPLINE:
- MIKE SINGLETARY – watching game films to prepare, would often watch a single play 50-60 times. He knew every tendency of opposing players. His legendary success was the result of his remarkable DISCIPLINED life.
- EARNEST HEMINGWAY – was characterized by obsessive literary discipline, spending hours polishing single sentences, searching for right words. His discipline transformed the way Americans, and people throughout the English-speaking world, expressed themselves in literature.
- LEONARDO DA VINCI – was so disciplined that on one occasion he drew a thousand hands.
- WINSTON CHURCHILL – famous for being THE quintessential impromptu speech-giver, was more disciplined than most know. Churchill wrote out and practiced EVERY speech, choreographing even the pauses and fumblings for the right phrase. He practiced endlessly in front of mirrors. F.E. Smith said, “Churchill spent the best years of his life writing impromptu speeches.” He was a natural! …a natural at being a DISCIPLINED hard-working man!
And the list goes on!
“WE WILL NEVER GET ANYWHERE IN LIFE WITHOUT DISCIPLINE, BE IT IN THE ARTS, BUSINESS, ATHLETICS, ACADEMICS OR SPIRITUALLY.”
DISCIPLINE is exactly what Paul was talking about when he said to young Timothy “TRAIN YOURSELF TO BE GODLY.” (1 Tim. 4:7)
The word “train” is the Greek word “gumnos,” which means naked. From this we get our English word gymnasium. In traditional Greek athletic contests (from which the Olympics came), the participants competed without clothing.”
This was not some perverted practice; it was actually the outcome of DISCIPLINE. They competed naked, “so as not to be encumbered” by clothing. “Train” originally meant to “exercise/compete naked,” and Paul was calling for the same DISCIPLINE spiritually that one would exercise physically to compete at the highest possible level. He was calling for spiritual sweat; not legalism, but God-centered DISCIPLINE! “Just as athletes discarded everything and competed “gumnos” (free from everything that could possibly hinder them) we must DISCIPLINE ourselves to get rid of every encumbrance, every association, every habit, and every tendency which impedes godliness.” To excel “we must strip ourselves to a lean, spiritual nakedness.”
(Thoughts adapted from: Disciplines of a Godly Man, pp. 13-14)
HIM we “don’t need motivation, WE NEED DISCIPLINE.”
Ended with our finishing rounds of cornhole.
- Upcoming 2ndF – 2nd Annual F3 Christmas Gathering, hosted by Ruxpin and his M, Friday, Dec. 14th @ 6 pm. Watch GroupMe, word will be going out on other details.
- Chickens for Haiti 5k/walk: Thanksgiving Day in Greenwood. See Waterfall for details (Waterfall, see YHC for 1 registrants cash — you gotta post if you’re gonna collect the dough bro.)
- Praise for healthy delivery of Stretch & his M’s baby last Friday.
- Prayers for Vanilla & M (Megan) as they’re anticipating their new arrival (she is here! Olive arrived prior to this writing).
- Semi, continued search for a new job.
That’s it. Honored to Q it up again, even if it was only us 4 and no more. Shout out to Blacklung, a PAX in York, SC who posted about a cornhole workout, YHC merely borrowed and modified.
It was windy and wet but it was fun. A good beatdown too. Nugget, I took a page from your playbook, but you missed it all brother.
With that, get naked… i.e. STAY DISCIPLINED! YHC is not trying to motivate you or anything. Aye!